The CountDown Begins- Beach Polo Cup Dubai Is Almost Here
Just 28 days left for the Beach Polo Cup Dubai 2018 to get alive.
,15th November 2018 | Dubai
History Of Beach Polo
The history of Beach Polo won’t make you travel back in time. It all started in 2004, on the sands of Dubai, where they famously say,
“They play Polo on grass. They play Polo on snow. So we are going to play Polo on the beach.”
Polo has always been a sport who has been in action on a grass based ground with large areas. This was believed as a drawback as a large field could easily distract the spectators from the action taking place on the ground. The tradition of the grass polo changed with the invention of Snow Polo St. Moritz. It was here that polo traveled from grass to snow and finally to sand in 2004. Almost 10 years later, in 2014, Beach Polo Cup Dubai got the official patronage of HH Sheikh Hamdan Bin Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the Crown Prince and also the Chairman of the Dubai Sports Council. After this, the version of polo started to get recognition on local as well international level. But the bigger question is, how is Beach Polo different from the existing polo.
- Each team is comprised of 3 players.
- The handicap for the tournament ranges between 6-8 goals with 4 chukkas for each game, following the HPA Arena Rules 2012-13.
- After the teams compete in 2 qualification matches on the first day, th two teams with the highest point qualify for finals.
- The third and fourth team on the other hand play for consolidation finals.
- The color of the ball remains red.
This year the Beach Polo Cup will happen at Dubai Harbour. There are other things that happen during the event. Stay connected with LA POLO for all the updates as LA POLO is the media partner of Beach Polo Cup Dubai 2018.